REGISTER NOW FOR JCPA’s FALL MEETING
UJA Federation of New York, 130 East 59th Street
Thursday, September 15 from 1:00-6:00 p.m.
Symposium on “New Directions in Jewish Advocacy and Community Relations”
As we witness growing polarization and change in our social fabric, the field of community relations and the players have changed. What are the key challenges of the movement and how do we strengthen our goals with support and resources to be effective? The symposium will feature:
- David Bernstein, JCPA President and CEO, will deliver a presentation and White Paper looking at key challenges and solutions in 21st century Jewish Community Relations
- A panel discussion with:
- Nancy Kaufman, CEO of National Council of Jewish Women
- Rabbi Michael S. Miller, Executive Vice President & CEO, JCRC of New York
- Carol Brick-Turin, JCRC Director of Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- Melanie Roth Gorelick, Senior Vice President of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs
- Anita Zusman Eddy, JCRC Executive Director of Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas
Members of the Jewish community were pioneers of the civil rights movement. Is there more work to be done 50 years later? The issue of criminal justice affects everyone in the United States. With 1 in 6 African-American men in jail, an increase in police shootings receiving national attention, food deserts in our urban areas and the growth of black lives matter, what is the role of the Jewish community?
Speakers will include (panel in formation):
- Paul J. Fishman, United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey
- James E. Johnson, Board Member of the Brennan Center for Justice, Partner at Debevoise & Plimpton and Founder of NJ Forward.
- Dr. Rita Meed, Clinical Psychologist and Executive Coach
- Lauren Jones, Assistant Director of Legal Affairs at the Anti-Defamation League
Friday, September 16 from 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the
Distinguished guests on the future of Jewish Federations, community relations and advocacy
- Jerry Silverman, President & CEO of Jewish Federations of North America
- David Harris, CEO of the American Jewish Committee
- Jonathan Greenblatt, National Director and CEO of the Anti-Defamation League
With a plethora of Israel advocacy organizations taking hold at the local level, how do JCRCs continue to ensure a nuanced approach to Israel while maintaining U.S. support and engagement with non-Jewish communities and legislators. A panel will feature:
- David A. Halperin, Executive Director of the Israel Policy Forum
- Joel Braunold, Executive Director of the Alliance for Middle East Peace
- Yona Shem-Tov, Executive Director of Encounter
With a new academic year beginning, Israel faces continued assault from some U.S. college campuses in the form of Boycott, Divestment and Sanction resolutions. What types of challenges will we face on campuses and how can we best support and engage students and professors to be effective advocates for Israel?
(Panel in formation)
The fall meeting will also include a special segment for Ethan Felson to recognize his 13 years of dedicated service to JCPA.