June 17, 2016
The Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA) is seeking a Senior Policy Associate. JCPA is a non-profit organization that supports a network of 125 local Jewish community relations councils and 16 national agencies around the country and represents their policy priorities nationally. JCPA is looking for a committed, passionate professional who cares deeply about the Jewish people, Israel and social justice, and wants to make a real difference.
JCPA helps represent the Jewish voice on major issues of the day in the public sphere. The JCPA Senior Policy Associate will play a leadership role in developing and implementing strategic domestic and international public policy and Israel related initiatives. The Senior Policy Associate will be tasked with educating the JCRC field on policy issues; engaging in issue-based advocacy with national influentials and coalition partners; and providing support to local JCRCs implementing strategy at the local, state and national levels. The Senior Policy Associate will report directly to the Senior Vice President, will be an active participant in the program and policy team, and will facilitate issue-based task forces of lay leaders as needed.
- Work with the program and policy team to identify emerging and current issues of importance to the JCPA network. Lead in developing advocacy strategies and tool kits to help educate, engage, and mobilize the Jewish community at the local, state, and national levels.
- Actively implement public policy strategies by engaging with policy professionals, influentials, local member agencies, and select coalitions that forward JCPA’s strategic concerns.
- Work closely with the Washington Representative to develop strategy on effectively moving our legislative priorities on Capitol Hill with Members of Congress, Administration officials, and in select coalitions working on these matters.
- Provide on-going support and leadership to the local JCRCs to implement our public policy priorities at the local and state levels through education, advocacy, mobilizing, and response.
- Assist in preparing emergency and timely responses on current events that arise that require local JCRC leadership, public statements, and follow-up action.
- Research topics and provide expert support to local JCRCs on local issues and concerns that fall under the JCPA umbrella.
- Write, as needed, blogs, action alerts, policy backgrounders, and input for JCPA communication materials. Help prepare needed materials for JCPA Board of Directors, national committees, and other stakeholders as needed.
- Create and facilitate JCPA ad hoc lay leader task forces who will help steer the implementation of JCPA policy priorities around the country.
- Assist in organizing advocacy days and meetings for the JCRC network, board meetings, and educational panels, and JCPA annual conferences.
The Senior Policy Associate will be responsible for facilitating the flow of information on issues affecting the whole community relations field. The candidate should be able to utilize quick decision-making skills to help shape JCPA policy through judicious and nuanced use of community relations vehicles including action alerts, leadership meetings, statements, consultations, and other mobilizing strategies.
- Minimum 5-7 years professional experience in a national organization
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Energetic hands-on professional style
- Self-starter, able to work independently, enjoys brainstorming, creating, and implementing new initiatives and policy
- Public policy experience and degree. Graduate Degree preferred
- Background in civil rights and Israel a plus
We are looking for a person who is smart, passionate, team oriented, and fun to be around.
Benefits and salary are commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Jewish Council for Public Affairs is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, national origin, marital status, race, age, sex, sexual orientation or nature of disability.